Tuesday, May 13, 2014

How to name your blog, and why it matters!


Yes, your blog name could be asdf.blogspot.com or www.whocares.com but will that blog name help or hurt your reach?

Welcome to the last installment in week one of the #BlogLife101 series! Today we will be talking about why it is important to carefully choose your blog name before you set up your own blog. Let's begin!

Choosing a name for your blog should be a simple yet thorough process. The reason being that it is super complicated to 're-brand' once you have already established your blog and have followers.

So here are a few basic guidelines when choosing a blog name:
  1. Choose a Unique name that fits your niche.
    -Your name can be generic but when I say unique I mean you don't want to be "livelaughlove2.com" take some time to search for the name you want to see if it already has a home on the web.
  2. Sometimes it's best to find a generic name
    -Most people are confused by the names of my blogs. ApotheKayla and WinterStead are both Unique names. Yes they are catchy and hard to forget, but you will never pick up the name of my blog along in a google search. If your blog name is healthyworld or supermom, a title that describes your niche people will be more apt to click a link with your blog name because the title is appealing.
  3. Choose a name that makes you happy.
    -While both of my blogs have super unique names that are hard to pronounce and remember at first...I love them and they fit my needs to a "T".
Your blog name matters because it sets the tone for your blog. Your blog name is literally the first impression people have of your blog. When you decide to print business cards,  you will be handing out your blog name. Will it represent you?

If you already have a blog, what is your blog name? Why did you choose it? Let me know in the comments section below!

Thanks for reading & stay tuned to for my next post "Why I choose the Blogger platform!"

3 comments :

  1. Choosing a name was SO hard! My current blog name is Little Big Harvest. I started out with Little Hands Big Harvest, but I found it way too clunky. Taking out the 'hands' was hard for me to do, because I really wanted to represent the kids who garden with me. However, the shorter name is much easier to handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I love the name of your blog!! It is hard to think of a name you want to stick with forever, but if you find a name you are excited about now.. usually you will continue to be excited about it. I agree though, a shorter name probably is easier to handle.

      Delete
  2. I am so lost with naming my blog... I don't know where to start!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't want to miss a single post? Sign up for e-mail alerts:

We guarantee a spam free service,
our e-mail alerts are powered by FeedBurner