Thursday, April 24, 2014

Kombucha: Put it in your cup & Drink it up!!

Well hello! Have you ever heard of Kombucha?


There seems to be a Kombucha craze going on.. everyone's doing it.. what is it?

Kombucha is highly debated at the moment and when something is highly debated I like to look at it myself and see what my intuition and body tells me, along with proper research of course!



We have been drinking it for almost a year now, every day (or at-least when we remember). I can honestly say I crave it when I don't have my small yellow cupful each morning!

Alright, alright I know it's more information you want! My friend from The Backyard Project was nice enough to trade a SCOBY for some homemade toothpaste. SCOBY is the "Mother" layer that makes all of the probiotic goodness happen!

S- Symbiotic
C- Colony
O- of
B- Bacteria and
Y- Yeast

The SCOBY is the floating layer in the photo ->

The process of fermenting your own tea is as simple as brewing a gallon of tea, placing your SCOBY in, and waiting for two to three weeks. Alright it may not be that simple but it is overall a fairly simple process.

The article that my friend over at The Backyard Project sent me can be found: HERE. With ample instructions and advice.

There are so many reasons you should at-least try this fizzy tea and these are a few:

  1. Improved Digestion
  2. Increased Metabolism
  3. Regulated hunger and blood sugar
  4. Detoxification
  5. Fighting Cancer
  6. Fighting Arthritis
  7. Building Immune System
Although you can choose to flavor yours we do not flavor ours.. so we say cheers, clink cups, and then chug! My auntie makes smoothies with a half cup of kombucha and once she has added her fruits, and sometimes cocoa, she says you can't taste it at all!!

Flavoring it pretty much covers up any bitterness at all. After you brew you can add in your favorite juices (organic preferably). We have played around with pomegranate, but I want to try strawberry or blueberry.. ahh so many berries so little time.. anyways.. like I said before we usually drink it plain.

We use the Continious Brew method at the Winterstead,helps with sanitation and makes the brew a breeze! One of the many benefits of the continuous brew is that I can easily strain the kombucha (pictured above) as I am double bottling it. Read about the continuous brew method here.

Double bottling your Kombucha takes a lot of the bitterness out. Read about that here! 

There are SO many blog posts about kombucha, there is some negativity floating around out there but hey.. is the cup half full or half empty? I'm a realist and I can say that this cup has helped my body to regulate itself and I feel better when I drink it! Try it for yourself, let me know what you think in the comments below, and do your own research!

Here are a few of my favorite posts about it if you want to read up on it some more! -Cheers!!

Food Renegade| Kombucha Health Benefits

The-Bee-Queen|The Buss on Kombucha

The Faulk Farmstead| Brewin' the 'Booch


No comments :

Post a Comment

Don't want to miss a single post? Sign up for e-mail alerts:

We guarantee a spam free service,
our e-mail alerts are powered by FeedBurner