Monday, March 24, 2014

How baking cookies from scratch is an act of rebellion.


I'm not going to lie.. I'm sort of a cookie monster. I can easily devour 8-10 cookies at one time.. let me re-phrase I used to be able to eat that many cookies in one sitting when I was eating "food-like" products.

My husband knows this about me, and the thing he enjoys the most is making me happy.. so in order to "give me cookies" <-spoken in the voice of Cookie Monster, he started baking them from scratch.



When you cook or bake from scratch you know exactly what is in your recipe, and can always change up the ingredients if you want to (or need to for dietary concerns). For instance, we made a batch of cookies using Avocado in the place of butter and by doing this made a health food. However.. Avocado's cost a lot more than butter so for now we are primarily using butter in our cookie making.

Making cookies from scratch is an act of rebellion because we are questioning the current system and relying on our own intelligence to determine what is best for us. When we blindly followed the crowd and purchased pre-made cookies or even a box of pre-measured ingredients to makes cookies we were blindly eating "food-like" products and making ourselves sick in the process.

Now I eat 2-3 cookies and I'm full, as if I had eaten a meal.. because guess what?! These cookies are made from real food ingredients!! I also crave "junk-food" less often because we have started cooking more and more from scratch (not only cookies but as many meals as possible). 

Although my husband enjoys making cookies for our family and friends if we felt comfortable picking up a box of cookies off the shelf we would. However.. sadly, we can't trust our once loved brands and now that we have become accustom to cookies from scratch anything else tastes.. well.. gross.


For the remainder of this post I am going to let Mr. Winter describe how he makes his cookies, which are now famous in our neck of the woods by the way!! =D

He says: Pretty much any recipe will do, the trick for getting the cookies the way we like them is in the preparation. Where I think people mess up in their cookie making is by rushing. I take the time to ensure when I mix my batter it is put together properly, I try not to skip any of the steps. For instance if you are supposed to mix the ingredients into two bowls, I mix them into two bowls. I find that the softer the butter the better the cookie, so I leave my butter to melt in the window sill so it is always soft when I am ready to bake.

I have three or four different bases that I use, then I add what people like depending on which type of cookie I am making. If someone I know loves dark chocolate chips I will start with a chocolate  cookie base and for half of the base use dark chocolate chips and for the other half I will use peanut butter chips. This way I can ensure everyone will enjoy my cookies!

One of the big things that helps me, because I know I am going to make a lot of cookies, has been designing my kitchen with all of my tools and ingredients for baking cookies in one area. This has cut my prep time in half.

Making cookies, for me, is fun. I turn on a podcast (usually the History of Rome) and when baking I look forward to others enjoying the fruits of my labor.


2 comments :

  1. I love those cookies! What can I say, I am a rebel...that picture made me want another batch of those yummy oatmeal, choc. chip coconut cookies;).<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to say I am spoiled rotten! My son(n law) is the best! I used to have store bought breakfast cookies with my coffee. Now I have his homemade, oatmeal, cranberry, coconut, white chocolate cookies. I used to have four of the store bought, now I have one or two. Kayla is right, I am satisfied. And they are delicious, they are always there and it has to be better for us on a whole! Love you!! Mom

    ReplyDelete

Don't want to miss a single post? Sign up for e-mail alerts:

We guarantee a spam free service,
our e-mail alerts are powered by FeedBurner